July 7, 2008

Back Home Again; Happy Birthday To Me

Thankfully, I have lots work for this week (including some for an exciting new client) so I might not blog much. A brief recap of last week: I caught a ride with my cousins from Chicago back home to my parents' farm in Indiana to celebrate the Fourth of July (which is also my mother's birthday). Bryan came with me and it was a great couple of days. A few photos, courtesy of Bryan and my mom:

This is my niece Ali and her huge (8 hands 2 inches) Trakehner gelding, let's call him Jet. Even bigger than he looks in pictures, utterly silky and beautiful, and mellow as can be. Ali says he's a very relaxed ride.









This is Sebastian, a barn-mate of Jet's who is simply the embodiment of my pony fantasies when I was about ten. Tiny, shiny-eyed, with a braided mane and a sweet little nose as soft as a duckling. Probably a real dancer, once you get him to stretch his legs. There was also a month-old filly in the barn who was so lovely she just about melted my heart, but the photos of us with her aren't very clear.






Jet again, after Ali exercised him a bit. She offered to let me ride him but it's been a long time since I've ridden, and he's a very powerful horse (i.e. I could easily get tossed off his back), so I politely declined.









This gray fellow was curiously watching our visit and very friendly but awfully intent on planting his big wet lips on my face, so I let him be.











Some of my Dad's Boer goats. I fed and fell in love with a little girl named Cupcake, who frantically nibbled goat chow right out of my hands. One of the goats (not pictured) was served with the holiday meal. There was also a turkey and a whole roasted pig. I...ate a lot of potato salad.

















We arrived, ironic eagle t-shirt clad, modest gifts in hand. Mom took this picture and emailed it and a bunch of others to me, adding "Some of these photos are very nice, but please smile more. Love, Mom."

And yes, we might be two of the palest Irish/German people in the world. Actually, Bryan's spent some time at the beach in both Los Angeles and Chicago recently, so this is his version of a tan.

Bryan agreed with my assessment that my mom is one of the most dynamic women you'll ever meet. She easily accomplishes more in the average day than I do. I love you, mama.





P.S. Today is my birthday!

11 comments:

Nellie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!

nora leona said...

Have the happiest of birthdays lovely Bella!
I'm sorry that I missed your trip home. I was in Nebraska- keeping the balance of bloggers in Indiana netural.

It Takes a Nathan of Fillions to Hold us Back said...

Happy birthday...it's nice to see that there are other people out there who have a similar skin tone to me.

Elizabeth McQuern said...

Thanks, y'all! And thanks for the profuse decorations that greeted me this morning, Nellie!

Chancelucky said...

Sounds like a great visit home. Happy birthday to your mother as well.

Mo said...

Weeeee!!!! Goat butts and birthdays!!!!

Have the bestest, awesomest, superest, raddest birthday EVER.

Wub.

Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet Elizabeth! You are beautiful and talented and so sweet and funny and just the epitome of the word "lovely."

I am honored to be your friend.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, girl.

HORSES!

The Imaginary Reviewer said...

Happy birthday!

Nellie said...

aww, shucks. you're welcome. hope your birthday was a happy one. please try to leave me just the teeniest sliver of delicious cake....I know it's delicious, but please try to control yourself....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Elizabeth McQuern said...

Thanks, Chance, Melissa, Erica, Ken, and Imaginary Reviewer!

I celebrated by going to the Apple store so Bryan could buy his first Mac. I was kinda hoping he'd buy me one, too, but he's kind of a cheapskate.