December 17, 2007

Useful Application of Technology To Kittycats

Scientists in South Korea have cloned cats who glow in the dark.

In the daylight, they're adorable fluffy white little babykins.

In the dark, they look like little rabid pigbats. If I saw one of those on my front porch at 4:30 AM I'd think it was a sick possum and try to whack it with a shovel out of sheer terror.

Science, we need to have a talk. Hold my hand, it's okay.

Science, you know I love you, right? Once I made that transition from early childhood science fiction to real science, and I went from the joys of Asimov to the humbling beauty of Tsiolkovsky, and then I had that incredible science professor, Father Leo, at Marian back in Indiana, you know it's only been about me and you, right? I mean, I know that official piece of paper says "history" and not "science," but a piece of paper can't tell you anything about love, sugar.

I love you, science. But here's the thing: you're starting to scare me a little. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Slow down there, fella.

No comments: