May 28, 2006

Belle De Jour is a Fake Whore, and You Can't Stay Anonymous Online Forever

Belle_de_jour
No, that's not an inflammatory accusation (but it sure was fun to type!). Belle Du Jour is (allegedly) the online diary of a London call girl, although speculation has been flying that Belle may be one of several different writers, and not a prostitute at all.



If so, this is yet another example of the line between fiction and non-fiction being intentionally obscured. In any case, "Belle" managed to snag a book deal out of "her" blogging efforts, and this is partly because of the anonymity that blogging allows.



This brings up a very curious thing that seems to be happening to the concept of individual online identity as it takes new shape with evolving media and technology.



What happens to the possibility of anonymity when a blog becomes a video blog?



A traditional blog (text, links, and pictures) can be published and used by thousands of readers without offering a hint of the writer behind it. But a video blog requires a personal touch, a face in front of a camera, and it leaves little chance for a content producer to remain invisible behind their work.



With the addition of one single element - video - the next step in the evolution of online individual communication and expression removes the option for anonymity almost altogether. (Although of course it won't mean the end of hoaxes, scams, and general bullshittery online.)



Bella_may_06On that note, I have finally posted a real picture of myself in my author photo here on my blog (and, because I'm so full of myself, at left as well). Yeah, that's me. I took that picture this morning. (And you thought I was kidding about not being able to live without sunblock.)



It's the first picture of myself I've ever put online, and it's in a post with the word "whore" in the title. That is some brilliant self-promotion.

No comments: