April 14, 2006

The Jim Jones Variety Hour

Flaming_lips_on_pbsThe other night some friends and I were chillin' after a nice Cuban dinner and caught the muted TV, tuned to PBS, out of the corner of our eye. We were mesmerized and puzzled by a musical performance that was absolutely uncatagorizable.

We sat down to watch. We turned the sound on.



"Is this religious? It looks like a cult recruitment video!"



"No, I think it's a children's concert."



"No, it looks Swedish or something."



"The singer looks like Raffi. This is for children."



"No, those giant bunnies would scare the shit out of children."



"This is actually scaring me a little bit. Change the channel."





"What the hell IS this?"









We couldn't look away. We couldn't google it, either. The wireless was on the fritz.





"It's the Jim Jones Jamboree!"
I asserted. 'Don't drink the Kool-Aid, children!" I then offered our
Cuban friends a brief explanation of who Jim Jones was, and the
contemporary meaning of the phrase "Drinking the Kool-Aid."



A song came on. We focused on the lyrics. "This will help us figure this out," we said. We turned on the closed-captioning.



"Oh Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots eat me
Yoshimi, they don't believe me
but you won't let those robots defeat me
"



Well, that didn't help.



Then the wireless came back online. We googled. It was the Flaming Lips on Austin City Limits. They, who regaled us with "She Don't Use Jelly" in 1993. Wow. I never would have figured that one out on my own.



No comments: