April 3, 2007

Sloan's First Draft

Sloan has posted her first effort toward this parallel book project I mentioned. It's about her adventures in apartment living, take one. It's especially apt since right now she's apartment hunting for the first time in over five years. This time she's savvy enough to look at place after place before making a decision. The first time around? Not so much.

"...no, I would find the most pest infested, overpriced, code-violating pile of bricks within city limits. Well, to be honest, I didn’t set out with such lofty goals in mind, but had I known this was to be the plan all along, I could have saved myself a lot of runaround."

She called me from work yesterday to breathlessly tell me that, after sending out a blanket e-mail to family and friends announcing the first installment of the project, she managed to snag over 1300 visitors to her website. A rather amazing start to a project I'm excited to see take shape.

Also, last night, she gathered some accommodating friends from work, borrowed a friend's home, and shot her first horror short. She had read about twelve new books about film and technique before plotting this one out, including David Mamet's "On Directing Film," which gave her a ton of new ideas about montage and subtlety (not the tomato-throwing montage subtlety she's already mastered), so I'm thrilled to see how this one turns out.

No comments: