July 1, 2008

Greasemonkey Help?

I know this is a long shot, but I'm going to post it anyway.

I am using a newly-downloaded Firefox 3.0 on my MacBook, running OS 10.4.11 (after a weird glitch wherein the older version of the browser froze, and when I did a force quit, the application was GONE from my Mac entirely), and the new version of Greasemonkey (Version 0.8.20080609.0, released June 12, 2008) won't download or install.

Every time, I get an error message, and the error console tells me this:

I'm not a developer (not by a long shot) so I don't know what all of that means, but I knew enough to use Greasemonkey's last version to put a kickass sig line in my Gmail:

and now I have NO IDEA what to do.

My writing clients all told me how much they loved my sig line and I'm really frustrated that I can't use it anymore.

I left this post as a comment on the Greasemonkey blog, hopefully someone will be able to tell me something.

Anyone have any tips?


kaynorr said...

Leigh pointed me over here, as someone who might be able to provide some assistance....

Given how squirrely your old Firefox install was behaving, it's a good chance it didn't entirely uninstall/upgrade successfully. And a bad Firefox install has then left Greasemonkey unable to properly plug in.

One suggestion would be to go scorched earth - trash Firefox from your Application folder altogether (backup your bookmarks & Greasemonkey scripts first!), reboot, and then download a fresh copy of Firefox from mozilla.com and slap it in there.

Seemed to work OK on my test Mac, so I'm guessing there isn't some sort of generic bug, just a hiccup in your system that needs to be worked through.

Elizabeth McQuern said...

Thanks, kaynorr! I am heading out the door shortly but I will give your advice a try for sure. I miss my Greasemonkey!

Elizabeth McQuern said...

That did the trick! Thanks, Kaynorr! You're a doll.