July 1, 2008

Greasemonkey Help?

I know this is a long shot, but I'm going to post it anyway.

I am using a newly-downloaded Firefox 3.0 on my MacBook, running OS 10.4.11 (after a weird glitch wherein the older version of the browser froze, and when I did a force quit, the application was GONE from my Mac entirely), and the new version of Greasemonkey (Version 0.8.20080609.0, released June 12, 2008) won't download or install.

Every time, I get an error message, and the error console tells me this:









I'm not a developer (not by a long shot) so I don't know what all of that means, but I knew enough to use Greasemonkey's last version to put a kickass sig line in my Gmail:






and now I have NO IDEA what to do.

My writing clients all told me how much they loved my sig line and I'm really frustrated that I can't use it anymore.

I left this post as a comment on the Greasemonkey blog, hopefully someone will be able to tell me something.

Anyone have any tips?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leigh pointed me over here, as someone who might be able to provide some assistance....

Given how squirrely your old Firefox install was behaving, it's a good chance it didn't entirely uninstall/upgrade successfully. And a bad Firefox install has then left Greasemonkey unable to properly plug in.

One suggestion would be to go scorched earth - trash Firefox from your Application folder altogether (backup your bookmarks & Greasemonkey scripts first!), reboot, and then download a fresh copy of Firefox from mozilla.com and slap it in there.

Seemed to work OK on my test Mac, so I'm guessing there isn't some sort of generic bug, just a hiccup in your system that needs to be worked through.

Elizabeth McQuern said...

Thanks, kaynorr! I am heading out the door shortly but I will give your advice a try for sure. I miss my Greasemonkey!

Elizabeth McQuern said...

That did the trick! Thanks, Kaynorr! You're a doll.