April 2, 2017

Springtime! Outdoor Photoshoots! Fun Props! With Jennifer Baird and Elizabeth McQuern!

These are from a photoshoot last Spring, when I had a longtime friend (and the person who's hired me the most times to do her headshots - we think it's either 6 or 7 times), Chicago writer and comedian Jennifer Baird.

My frequent creative partner Kristin's sophisticated, intricate papercraft had inspired me to at least try to make simple props with simple materials, and I thought this would be a good time to try using props outdoors for the first time.

In this case, it was simple construction paper hearts taped onto popsicle sticks, and some artificial rose petal props I thought we could have throwing into the air, but I loved the effect.

It showed off Jennifer's playfulness and spontaneity, as well as her tattooes. ::emoticon wink::

These photos were a gift for her grandmother, and we wanted them to be cute, light, airy, and playful. Jennifer's comedy experience and our longtime rapport made things that much easier.

Once again, I used my favorite Chicago public park, named Loyola, which has sloping hills, gorgeous green space, benches, a beach, a colorful mural bench that runs for maybe 1/8 mile, a freshly remodeled playground, and lots of character.

I use this park so much I know where all the sweet spots are - benches with beautiful backgrounds, shady spots under the trees, and I even know where the light will be at certain times of day.

The Golden Hour for Loyola Beach Park is in the morning, when the sun comes peeking up over the horizon 6:30 AM as I type this.

In the evening, the last few streaks of sunlight peeking through tall buildings from the West also creates interesting light patterns on my subjects, and even if I need a little help with secondary light with my flash on a low setting, and I like experimenting with that, too.

Since we seem to have skipped winter this year almost altogether, I'm hoping to start booking outdoor photoshoots soon. Hey, how about YOU?

Thanks to Jennifer Baird, and feel free to peruse more of my work at elizabethmcquern.com.