April 28, 2006

"I'm at the corner of Gay and Indian!"

Woman_in_indian_sariLast night after work I walked about two miles to my cousin's house for dinner. Along the way I kept having a cramp in my left calf, right behind the knee. I stopped to stretch it several times but it kept getting worse, and about a quarter mile from her house I finally stopped to call her and ask for a ride.



"Okay, I'll come get you," she said. "Where are you, exactly?"



"Um, I don't know, I can't see the street signs from where I am right now."



"Well, what stores do you see?"



Leather_daddy"Er, there's a 'leather accessories' store next to a gay bar, and then there's an Indian barber shop and a Pakistani grocery store."



This kind of diversity is one of the great things about Chicago, and my neighborhood in particular. You can be on a street full of Ethiopian conversations, turn the corner and be surrounded by Chinese and Korean culture, and then walk into a neighborhood of Venezuelan, Mexican, and Peruvian restaurants.



"So I guess I'm at the corner of Gay and Indian," I told my cousin.



"Oh, I know exactly where you are," she said. "I'll be right there."

No comments: